I love to preach. I mean, full out bringing it, but some weeks I have no idea what to talk about. It might be that I am in between series or am I am struggling for series ideas. If we were all honest, we’ve all felt this and have uttered these words, “This week, I have no clue.”
I have a t-shirt that says, “It’s all good”. My wife hates it but it’s become my motto for preaching. The bible is all good. Everything from Genesis to Revelation (even Leviticus). As I pray, listen, and trust the Holy Spirit; I know that whatever comes out will glorify God and empower kids. Many times I don’t get to preach because I am happy if I just open the altars for prayer so kids can touch the hem of Jesus’ garment. I just get out of the way.
If you really are clueless about what to preach it’s o.k.. Don’t freak. Here are a few thoughts that might stir you.
1. Just ask Jesus, “What do my kids need tonight?” It is that simple.
2. What’s happening in the world that our kids need to understand in the context of scripture. This could the Dark Knight shooting tragedy or a quote from the Olympics. Keep your eyes and ears open.
3. Is there a popular You Tube video that needs to sparks discussion.
4. Is there a popular song on the radio that’s in your head that speaks a deeper truth.
5. Do we just need to turn on some worship music and let kids come to the altar?
6. Reflect on what God is doing in your own life.
7. Share a story from your life that you’ve never told.
8. Share your testimony, don’t preach it, share it.
You may be reading the Bible and you’re just not feeling it. Keep reading. Skip around, read the passage over and over again, keep going to the well until your bucket is full first and then fill the kids bucket.
I’ve stress out about the message more than I care to admit. As long as I am loving kids enough to tell kids the truth, and loving kids period, it’s all good.