Today is Labor Day and I’d like to highlight some of the hats youth pastors pastor wear that you may not be aware of.
The youth pastor role has evolved and morphed into many responsibilities depending on how many people are on staff, size of the church, etc. Some roles were handed out because youth pastors were/are the youngest people on staff other jobs because they are the most technologically advanced person on staff. A youth pastor does not do all of the things I’ve listed, but many do a combinations of these responsibilities. Here’s the list of roles and responsibilities youth pastors take up or are assigned (I had most of these jobs).
- Preparing and preaching messages
- Counseling students
- Organize Parent Meetings
- Worship Leader
- Children’s Pastor
- Sweeping and Cleaning the youth room
- Keeping the bus/van washed and clean
- Organize Youth Trips (Day Trips)
- Organize Mission Trips (5-7 days)
- Youth Camp Leader (5-7 days)
- Teaching Sunday School
- Cleaning the church
- Changing the church sign
- Keeping the website up to date
- Run sound
- Graphic design
- Organize outreaches
- Crises management
- Chief Marketer
- Research and development (coming up with new ideas to grow the church)
- Driving the church bus/van
- Social Media Director
- Head Chef,
- Bargain shopper
- Dressing up like a cow
- Event planner,
- Budget manager
- Event MC
- Interior designer,
- Drives kids home after church (Taxi)
- Recreation Director
- Church Landscaper (mow the church lawn)
- Bus/Van Driver
- Set Up/Tear Down Leader
- Actor (for those last minute Easter Play roles)
- Kill the animal /bug in the bathroom guy
- The occasional sacrificial lamb
- Administrative Assist (Secretary stuff. I answer the phones on Friday’s)
- Carpenters (see below), and Painters
Fellow Youth Worker Ryan Deal posted this just today
Sometimes youth pastors preach… Sometimes they disciple… Sometimes they paint space capsules…
I agree with Saint Francis of Assisi when he says
“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”
Let’s add one more thing to the list of duties/identities and this one is true every day for youth workers. They are all artists.
Happy Labor Day Youth Workers!
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9
Don’t Miss Another Post. Sign Up For The Fresh Impact Newsletter
I know there are many more jobs so feel free to add some I’ve missed in the comments below.
What is the oddest (job you didn’t think was in hour job description) job you’ve been assigned by your Pastor/Board?